Quick Kombucha Pickled Onions
The condiment with the power to turn the ordinary to extraordinary. And thankfully it only requires a handful of pantry staples (plus kombucha for some extra gut goodness) and can be enjoyed in just 30 minutes.
Transform raw red onions into an irresistible tangy, crisp, and colorful condiment that adds a magical and complex spark to most any meal. Some of our favorite ways to use pickled onions are on burgers, sandwiches, salads, tacos, and even curries.
Let’s make a batch!
A few notes and tips.
For the best results, slice the onions very thin (about ⅛-inch). This lets them absorb the vinegar faster. If you’re not in a hurry, and prefer your onions to be thicker, you’ll want to let them rest overnight.
Feel free to experiment by adding some of your favorite spices and herbs. We recommend rosemary, garlic, fresh grated ginger, turmeric, or even thyme.
Quick pickled onions are at their best during the first week, but can be kept up to 3 weeks if refrigerated.
You could use this same recipe with radishes as well!
This recipe is for quick pickled onions and is not intended for canning.
- 1 medium red onion, very thinly sliced (⅛-inch)
- ¼ cup kombucha (we recommend the Buchi Fire!)
- ¼ cup each water, distilled white vinegar and apple cider vinegar (or additional white vinegar)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- ¼ teaspoon black peppercorns (for added heat - optional)
- Slice and pack the onions into a 1-pint (2 cups) mason jar or similar heat-safe container.
- In a measuring cup or small saucepan, combine the water, honey, salt and peppercorns (optional). Warm the mixture (in the microwave or on your stovetop) and stir until everything is dissolved and combined.
- Carefully pour the mixture into the jar over the onions. Add the vinegars and kombucha.
- Use a spoon to mix everything together and press the onions down into the vinegar, making sure they are fully covered.
- Let the pickled onions cool to room temperature (about 30 minutes), at which point they will be ready to enjoy!
- Cover and refrigerate leftover pickled onions for later. Quick-pickled onions are best within three days, but they keep for 2 to 3 weeks in the refrigerator.